Looking for the best places to have picnics near Melbourne this summer?
Spice up your summer with a picture-worthy picnic matched to your personality. If sand in sandwiches isn’t your cup of tea, use this handy guide to create the perfect country picnic in the Macedon Ranges.
1. The Iconic Picnic @ Hanging Rock Reserve
139 South Rock Road Woodend
You don’t have to climb the summit to enjoy a day at Hanging Rock Reserve. Expansive lawns offer plenty of room for activities such as a good ol’ game of cricket. Plus bushwalking around the base of Hanging Rock is also popular (and suitable for prams).
- Hanging Rock admission: Varied (car entry $10)
- Open daily 9-5pm
- Barbecue facilities
- Dog friendly (on leads) excluding major event days and Hanging Rock Summit Walk
2. The Bush Walkers Picnic @ Black Hill Reserve
110 Black Hill School Road Kyneton
Work up an appetite with fresh air and a bush walk at this hidden gem of a reserve. Black Hill Reserve consists of 260 acres of rare bush land and amazing granite rock formations approximately 5km north of Kyneton. Picnic atop a giant granite boulder for peace, tranquility and farm-scape views.
- Piper Street Food Co: 2/89A Piper Street Kyneton
- Country Cob Bakery (2018 & 2019 Winner of Australia’s Best Pie): 130 Mollison Street Kyneton
- Watt’s Fresh: 154 Mollison Street Kyneton
- Dog friendly (on leads)
- Keep an eye on fire danger rating and always carry plenty of water and a first aid kit
- Walking Routes: Circuit Track 3.9km | Ridge Track 2.7km | Revegetated Area Track: 1.7km
- No toilet facilities
3. The Edwardian Picnic on a Vintage Horse Carriage Ride
Departs from Carlsruhe
Go back in time on a horse-drawn vintage carriage ride along the Burke & Wills Track with Yesteryear Today Carriages. Bring your own picnic or organise a fully styled and catered picnic complete with an old gramophone and silverware.
Rides range from 60 minutes to longer scenic rides and picnics. You can even book a half day winery or garden picnic drive. A friendly horse by the name of Patrick will take you in either an authentic 1890’s ‘canoe front buggy wagonette’ from the Picnic at Hanging Rock era. Or a larger wagon with canopy, which is great for groups and shelter from summer sun. All seats have back rests and are padded for comfort.
This is a great experience for families or couples.
- Well-behaved dogs on leads welcome on rides
- Prices start at $150 for a 60 minute ride for up to six people (price is for ride, not per person)
- A picnic hamper is around $30 per person
- Booking information: bit.ly/yesteryear-today or call Rose on 0411 468 117
- Last minute bookings welcome