Macedon Ranges Destinations
Situated a hop, skip and jump from Melbourne, destinations in the Macedon Ranges are made up of charismatic villages; from small and sleepy to vibrant and ‘country-cosmopolitan’. Linking these historic villages and hamlets are stunning rural landscapes, eucalyptus and pine forests. Can you feel a road trip coming on?
The region is also home to the famous ‘Hanging Rock‘, a sacred aboriginal site made famous by the book ‘Picnic at Hanging Rock’ by Joan Lindsay (later adapted into a film by Peter Weir). Hanging Rock is popular destination in the Macedon Ranges for hiking, picnics and events. In fact, Elton John is playing there in January 2020!
The Macedon Ranges is a place where you can:
- Wander villages full of historic charm and wonderful old buildings
- While away an afternoon in a cosy wine bar
- Shop-till-you-drop in larger villages, such as Kyneton and Woodend
- Picnic in stunning private gardens open to the public
- Go wine or gin tasting at local cellar doors
- Challenge yourself to road and mountain biking or mountain trail run
- Participate in a creative workshop
- Experience foodies heaven in award winning restaurants and bakeries
- Create a dream country wedding
- Go fresh water fishing or horse riding
- Or just take a walk in the bush
There’s always something going on in the Macedon Ranges. You can easily plan multiple visits with an action packed, year round calendar of festivals, events and happenings that reflect our region’s quirky, edgy personality.
Best time to visit Macedon Ranges
Each experience in our region is remade four times a year by the changing seasons.
Where is the Macedon Ranges
The Macedon Ranges is within close proximity to Melbourne and Bendigo. It’s less than an hour by car to reach the Macedon Ranges. You can also travel here by the comfortable V-Line regional train.
Its location means you spend less time travelling here, and more time enjoying yourself.
There’s a range of accommodation to choose from, whether you are looking for self-contained homes, luxury getaways or family-friendly farmstays.