Campout at Hanging Rock
Spend a night under the stars at the Campout at Hanging Rock!
This family-friendly event is your exclusive once-a-year opportunity to stay overnight at the Macedon Ranges’ most iconic destination.
Bookings are a must for event planning purposes. Please book via the Buy Tickets link.
Entry fee: $70 per site for up to 6 people max, includes:
- Unpowered campsite.
- Ranger-guided sunset tour to Hanging Rock’s summit.
- Open-air cinema screening with movie to be advised (note will be a PG rated family-friendly movie) – BYO chairs, picnic rugs and blankets.
- Exclusive after-hours access to Hanging Rock Reserve, including the Summit and Base Walking Trails until sunset.
- Access to continue exploring Hanging Rock Reserve throughout the next day until 5pm Sunday. However your site must be packed up by morning, and your vehicle moved to another location in line with the instructions below.
HOW IT WORKS
Check-in: From 4:00pm
Campers in tents can drive a car to their allocated site, however cars will need to be removed from the tent camping area no later than 6:00pm to an adjacent parking area. Check-in for tents closes at 5:45pm and at 6:00pm for caravans / motorhomes / camper trailers.
Once you’re set up, the park is yours! Go exploring, sit back and relax, have dinner at your site or at Hanging Rock Café, take the kids to the playground, have a kick of the footy, join our Ranger-guided sunset tour to the summit from around 7:15pm, then go and grab your spot for the open-air cinema that starts at approximately 8:45pm.
All campers have access to Hanging Rock Reserve until 5:00pm Sunday.
Tent campers can bring their cars back into the camping area from 8:30am Sunday morning, and will need to have their allocated site packed up by 10:00am and relocate their car into the main car park.
Caravans / motorhomes / camper trailers will need to vacate their allocated site by 10:00am and will be directed to a designated caravan parking area.
DON”T FEEL LIKE COOKING?
Hanging Rock Café will be open from 4:00pm Saturday. Dinner service commences at 5:30pm with breakfast on Sunday morning from 6:30am. Dine-in and take away will be available, with bookings essential if you wish to dine in. Visit www.hangingrockcafe.com.au for more information, dine-in reservations and menu details or call 0420 287 890.
- The Reserve does not have showers.
- The Campout is primarily for campers staying in tents (and swags). Only a limited number of caravan / motorhome / camper trailer sites are available.
- Dimensions for tent campsites are approximately 6m x 5m. Cars are not permitted to stay on tent campsites after you’re set up, so the 6m x 5m is your usable space.
- Dimensions for caravan / motorhome / camper trailer sites are approximately 10m x 6m. Please note – no pegging is permitted on these sites. Only camper trailers that do not require pegging down are permitted due to the location of these campsites.
- All sites are unpowered and campers must leave no trace, ie be fully self-contained.
- Campers will be issued with their allocated campsite number and sunset tour departure time upon check-in.
- Campsites are for up to 6 guests. Groups with more than 6 guests will need to book multiple sites.
- Tents and caravans / motorhomes / camper trailers will be allocated sites in different areas.
- Guests will have access to toilets and BBQ facilities, noting that there are seven BBQ facilities located both within and adjacent to the camping area.
- Only gas BBQs are permitted. No fires or heat bead / charcoal BBQs.
- Lights out strictly at 11:00pm
- Children 17 years and younger must be accompanied by an adult.
What’s the cancellation policy?
Cancellations received more than 72 hours from the Campout will receive a full refund. Cancellations received within 72 hours of the Campout are not refundable.
What if the weather is bad?
If severe weather is forecast, for everyone’s safety the Campout will be cancelled. We will aim to provide at least 24 hours notice and a full refund will be provided.
What movie are you screening?
We’ll decide which movie to screen once we have an idea of the ages of children that have booked in to attend. What we can tell you is that it will be a PG rated movie, but one that will appeal to younger and older guests. Details will be released prior to the campout.
Can we camp next to our friends?
Yes, you can certainly request it and we’ll do our best to accommodate you. Just make sure you advise us when booking – there’s a section when you can do this.
Do you have to book for the Ranger-guided sunset tour?
So we can provide the best experience, yes, you will need to let us know if you’re joining the tour when you make your Campout booking. We may be able to take some last minute bookings on the day, but it will be subject to availability.
How long and difficult is the Ranger-guided sunset tour?
It’s a 1.8km hike that will take around 60-75 minutes return. The trail is Grade 3, so it is suitable for most ages and fitness levels, has some steep sections, rough surfaces and steps.
Do you have to book for the open-air cinema?
No you don’t, just bring your chair, bean bag or rug and grab your spot.
Is the sunset tour and open-air cinema free?
Yes, they’re both free and included in your admission price.
Can I just come for the movie and then go home?
Unfortunately not, the open-air cinema is only for guests participating in the Campout.
Are the nights usually cold at Hanging Rock?
Even though it’s summer, nights can still be cold at Hanging Rock – we are 600m above sea level after all. Make sure you’re prepared just in case.
Can I move freely in and out of the Reserve?
Once you’ve checked in, we’d prefer you to stay in unless it’s absolutely necessary. If you do need to leave the park, please contact our Duty Ranger on 0418 373 032 to make arrangements.
Can I have a campfire?
No, fires are not permitted within Hanging Rock Reserve.
Can I bring my dog?
No, dogs are not permitted
What facilities and amenities are available?
You will have exclusive after-hours access to Hanging Rock Reserve, which includes our picnic areas, barbeques, Summit and Base Walking Trails, and toilets. Our toilets are wheelchair and ambulant-accessible and we have baby change facilities. Please note that we do not have showers.
What if the Fire Rating Danger Day is declared Catastrophic?
On days declared a Catastrophic Fire Rating Day, Hanging Rock is closed, in which case the event would be cancelled and a full refund provided. We would aim to provide at leave 24hours’ notice.