The gardens dating back to 1858 are bounded by Clowes, Mollison and Powlett Streets in Kyneton. It has large magnificent specimen trees with 17 listed by the National Trust of Australia.
Plant collections include Kniphofia (Red Hot Poker) and Quercus( Oak).
Today the gardens have many types trees some of which are listed below:
- Chilean Wine Palm (Jubaea chilensis)
- Blue Atlas Cedar (Cedrus atlantica f.glauca)
- Himalayan Oak (Quercus leucotrichophora)
- Sierra Redwood (Sequoiadendron giganteum)
The Kyneton Botanic Gardens has recently been reviewed with a Masterplan developed for its ongoing upgrade and development.
Features include the use of bluestone throughout on the garden walls and the main gate. The garden also has a rotunda, a fairy ring of trees, a drinking fountain dating back from 1902 and a modern sculpture called ‘Fetching Them In’ depicting a sheepdog rounding up sheep.
There is an old gardener’s cottage that has been restored and a riverside walk along the Campaspe River.
The Friends of Kyneton Botanical Gardens was formed in early 2005 with the aim to raise awareness of the gardens and their conservation. People wishing to join the Friends of Kyneton Botanical Gardens can mail their expression of interest to PO Box 47 Kyneton 3444.
- Public Toilets
- Picnic Facilities