Being delivered as part of Art in the Vines at Hanging Rock Winery, the object of this workshop experience is to introduce participants to the world of bronze casting sculptural forms, and the techniques Anton used to create his sculpture ‘Red Running Tiger’, which is currently on exhibition at Art in the Vines.
Work with wax to model a small scaled shape of your choice as sculptures (perhaps a wine glass or bell), to be cast into bronze. The workshop will introduce you to the processes and provide information that will enable you to make your sculpture, and will also give you the information required to have your work cast at larger scales than is possible in the workshop.
Due to the nature of this workshop, it will be held across four days on two weekends.
Day 1 – Saturday, 2 March 2019
- Introduction to the history of bronze casting
- Introduction to modelling in wax directly and modelling in clay to mould and cast wax sculpture
- Day spent making sculptures to be cast in bronze
Day 2 – Sunday, 3 March 2019
- Finalising wax forms from direct modelling or via moulding processes
- Preparing the wax sculpture to receive the metal (‘runnering-up’ waxes)
- Demonstration of the ceramic shell casting materials and processes
2 week break while each wax sculpture is processed by Anton through the ceramic shell method in preparation for casting.
Day 3 – Saturday, 16 March 2019
- Casting day: pouring the bronze into each ceramic shell mould
- Breaking out the bronze from the shell
- Fettling the casting
Day 4 – Sunday, 17 March 2019
- Chasing bronze sculpture
- Patination of bronze sculpture
- Finishing and presentation of bronze sculpture
Each participant will be allocated 1 kilogram of bronze for their sculpture. A gourmet picnic lunch box matched with our award-winning wine is also included for each day of the workshop.
When: Saturday, 2 March 2019
Sunday, 3 March 2019
Saturday, 16 March 2019
Sunday, 17 March 2019
Time: 10:00am – 5:00pm each day
Where: Hanging Rock Winery, 88 Jim Rd NEWHAM
Price: $695 per person